Dashboard, Trends & Reports
Current data and information on regional investments in the arts and the impact those investments have on our economy and quality of life.
$182,750to 54 arts organizations
$27,034to 19 artists
800,000+community members impacted
The Arts Foundation of Tucson and Southern Arizona assesses impact through the work of our grantees. Support of local artists, arts organizations, and arts and cultural events demonstrate the contributions that the arts make to our lives, our economy and identity as a region.
In fiscal year 2019 (July 2018-June 2019), Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona granted:
- $182,750 in support to 54 organizations.
- $27,034 to 19 individual artists through both New Works and stART grants.
The individual artists, venues, organizations, and projects funded by Arts Foundation reach approximately 1.5 million members of our community and visitors each year.
In Public Art, the Arts Foundation supported the ongoing development of more than 20 projects and the completion of four projects.
Arts and the economy
In the most recently completed fiscal year, the nonprofit arts sector in Pima County created:
- 18,559 jobs (3,644 full-time)
- $277,908,226 in unrestricted revenues
- $127,201,531in salaries and benefits
- $22,480,698 in payment to artists, contractors and other related arts workers
And in 2015 (the most recent numbers available nationally), the arts sector overall in Arizona (for-profit and not-for-profit):
- Added $4.9B to the state’s economy
- Added 3.1% to the State’s economy
- Employed 90,287
Programs supported by the Arts Foundation in 2019 calendar year included (among others):
- Open Studios Tours
- Tucson Meet Yourself, from Southwest Folklife Alliance
- Ajo Arts Weekend: Community Arts Residency and Street Art Happening
- ArtTalks at the SculptureTucson Festival Show & Sale, SculptureTucson
- BRAVO TSO at the Tucson Symphony Orchestra
- Cyclovia Tucson, Living Streets Alliance,
- MOCA’s Tucson Five Minute Film Fest
- Stories that Soar! at the Tucson Festival of Books, Literacy Connects
- Tucson Cine Mexico, from the Hanson Film Institute
- The U.S. Air Force Band Concert, Fox Tucson Theatre Foundation
- Artistry on Wheels from Southern Arizona Adaptive Sports
- Procession of Little Angels from Many Mouths One Stomach
- Remembering Kristallnacht Art Exhibit Opening at the Tucson Jewish Community Center
- Kore Institute Salon Series at Kore Press, sponsoring “Kore Institute Salon Series”
- Loft, Jr. at The Loft Cinema, sponsoring “Loft, Jr.”
- Lumenaria, a Lantern Sidewalk Parade from Warehouse Management Arts Organization, Inc.
- The fall 2018 concert of the Sierra Vista Symphony Association
Arts Foundation also offered several professional development and networking opportunities including workshops and seminars for grantseekers, artists, and arts administrators.
The City of Tucson held funding steady for The Arts Foundation for fiscal year 2020, for which we are grateful. The total funding from the City’s base contract in 2019-2020 is $350,000, with additional support to be determined from the Transient Occupancy Tax. Pima County has increased its support for Arts Foundation in fiscal year 2020, which totals $121,700.
The above data is drawn from research conducted by the National Endowment for the Arts and Data Arts.
Our Town - TucsonPDF
Pima Cultural PlanPDF
Data Arts: Tucson Advocacy ReportPDF
Data Arts: Southern Arizona Advocacy ReportPDF
ARTS + LEARNING Report Spring 2018PDF
Arts Foundation Annual Reports FY2017 and FY 2018PDF
Arts Foundation Resource Case Study - The Loft CinemaPDF