CTA: Fire Station No. 9 | Tucson, AZ
Call to Artists/Teams for Public Art, Request for Qualifications
Fire Station No 9 | City of Tucson, Arizona
- Budget for Artwork: $69,560
- Application Deadline: October 1, 2019
Submissions are accepted online only. See additional details in the Application Procedure Section below.
The City of Tucson is seeking an artist, artist(s) or an artist team to join a multi-talented group of architects/designers, engineers, landscape design architects, plus other technical specialists engaged in architectural and engineering design to create public art in connection with this major project work. The improvements will include the construction of a new 16,000 s.f. Fire Station. Associated work will include paved parking, concrete walkways and landscaped areas.
The design phase is just getting started and is anticipated to finish September 2020.
Art Location Opportunities:
Art pieces may possibly be situated at the exterior or interior public lobby entrance to the new Fire Station. There will be an exterior entrance with covered concrete patio/walkways and exterior masonry walls where sculpture or paintings could be located. Additionally, there will be interior spaces in the lobby where sculpture or wall hangings could be presented.
The artwork design timeline for the artist/team work is expected to align with the construction design duration with art installation anticipated to be completed before construction completes in December 2021. The selected artist should be prepared to immediately begin working with the selection panel once legally under contract to the City.
All interested artists are encouraged and invited to apply. Artists previously experienced working with design teams and who currently possess the capacity to deliver the results of a long-term project are of particular interest to the panel.
The budget of $69,560 must cover all costs related to design, materials, production, transportation and installation of the artwork, plus costs for all permits, taxes, and insurance that may be required by the City of Tucson, Pima County, or the State of Arizona.
The selected artist is expected to attend up to three public meetings during the design process in addition to meeting with the design team, potentially monthly, throughout the design process. The artist must meet with the Project Panel organized by the Arts Foundation for review, comments, and approval of the design before officially beginning artwork production.
An artist panel, composed of technical project professionals, professional and amateur artists, as well as local community members, will select up to three finalists, based upon qualifications as demonstrated through their materials submitted in the call to artists. Interviews with finalists will be scheduled once the three finalists are determined. If preliminary designs are required, each finalist will receive a $100.00 honorarium for the development of the preliminary proposal and will be expected to present their proposals during the interview. If preliminary designs are not required, the finalists will be required to present samples of their past work results. The Arts Foundation is unable to pay travel expenses.
Calls to Artists issued by the Arts Foundation are available on our website at http://artsfoundtucson.org/artistsorganizations/opportunities/
Internet access is available at all public libraries. Artists may sign up to receive email notification of public art opportunities offered through the Arts Foundation at http://artsfoundtucson.org/about/.
Please follow the instructions below.
The Arts Foundation reserves the right to reject any or all applications not following the stated instructions.
Online Application Procedure.
Artists applying for this commission must submit the following materials online through the application host Submittable. Please click on the link to apply: artsfoundtucson.submittable.
The following materials are required
- Bio and Body of Work Content, a short, simple, video, no longer than three (3) minutes in length covering your personal background and body of work. This video will not be assessed on the production quality of the video – please feel free to use the video function on your phone – it is the information that you discus and how it relates to your portfolio images that will be considered by the panel.
There are many ways to film a short video; you can film a video on a digital camera, your cell phone, or a webcam on a computer. Feel free to incorporate other images or examples you might have. Videos may be uploaded as a file or linked from a video hosting site (such as Youtube or Vimeo) by a URL in the Submittable application portal.
- Résumé, not to exceed 2 pages, which highlights pertinent experience. If applying as a team, limit each team member resume to 1 page. Do not include portrait photographs in the resume. Most all file formats are accepted including DOC, TXT, RTF, PDF.
- Image List, organized to correspond with the image order, identifying each artwork by artist, title, year completed, medium, dimensions, and a brief description, but not to exceed 1 page in length. Most all file formats are accepted including DOC, TXT, RTF, PDF.
- Ten digital images of artwork in JPG file format. Teams must adhere to the total of eight images for the team application. Individual files should be named to correspond to the image list requested below. The JPG file names must include the artist name, an image number, and the image title. A suggested convention for naming the files starts with your last name followed by a number (1-8) and then a brief title of the artwork (Example: Jones-1-Freeflight.jpg).
Submittable will send you an email acknowledgement receipt, within 48 hours
- Online Application Deadline: October 1, 2019
(Please note: The schedule below is tentative, as capital improvement project schedules typically have many variables that influence when tasks may be able to start and finish)
- Call to Artists Issue Date: September 1, 2019
- Application Deadline: October 1, 2019
- Selection Process: October-November 2019
- Approval and Contracting: December 2019
- Artwork Design: January- April 2020
- Production and Installation: July 2020
For more information, contact Jeff DaCosta at (520) 460-4506 or firstname.lastname@example.org.