New Works (Closed)
Support provided to individual artists that allows them to pursue creative projects or see their work in new light.
The New Works Artist Project Grant seeks to support the depth and breadth of new artwork created and produced in the City of Tucson. It supports individual artists’ projects that meet the highest standards of excellence across a diverse spectrum of artistic disciplines. All New Works projects must include the development and production of new art work and take an original and imaginative approach to content and form.
Important dates for the New Works grant for FY 2018-2019 (in the fields of Visual Arts, Literature (includes narrative, poetry, playwriting, and Film/Video (moving image):
- Application opens (online only): Wednesday, January 10, 2018.
- Workshop and information session date: Friday, February 2, 2018 – 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Joel D. Valdez Main Library in the Santa Rita Room.
- Application deadline: Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
- Notifications sent: April 25, 2018.
The disciplines Performing Arts (theater, performance art, dance, music) and Emerging Fields, and Music/Sound will be awarded in the following year, 2019-2020.
Please read the New Works Project Grant Artist Guidelines and Orientation PDFs in the sidebar of this page.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants must be a working artist living in the City of Tucson.
- Projects must premiere within Tucson city limits.
- Applicants must be an individual artist or artistic collaboration to apply.
- If proposed projects is a collaboration, applicant may list up to three collaborators and must designate one person to be the main contact for project.
- Traditional artist or folk life practitioners working on new and innovative projects are welcome to apply. Please check the appropriate artistic discipline listed at the beginning of the application form.
- Projects that are special, one-time collaborations with an organization (e.g., theater companies, art film houses) are eligible, but must not appear as part of that organization’s 2017-2018 season. Applicants may not be part of the board, staff, or be an ensemble member of that organization.
- Non-profit organizations may not apply.
- Students currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program or an MFA student taking more than 1⁄4-time credit classes during the project timeline may not apply.
- Projects that have received P.L.A.C.E. Initiative grant or New Works Artist Project grant support in the past are not eligible.
- Artists who have outstanding final reports or projects from any past Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona awards may not apply.
Click the video below to see the work of current New Works grantee, Bill Mackey. Story by Andrew Brown of Arizona Public Media.
Click the following link to see a list of New Works Awardees FY2017-2018.
New Works Artist Project Grant - 2018/2019 GuidelinesPDF
New Works Artist Project Grant - 2018/2019 Workshop PowerPoint SlidesPDF
Sign up for notifications about future grants & opportunities
Grantees Funded In: FY 2015-2016
- FY 2016-2017
- FY 2015-2016
- FY 2014-2015
- FY 2015
- Santa Cruz Sounding
- My Mother Revelation
- Sanoura: Cuts on Tucson
- Reflection: Motherhood and the Performing Arts