Event Sponsorships (Closed)
Supporting arts-related events which are free and open to the public, and serve the residents of Southern Arizona.
Event Sponsorship Program Guidelines – Spring 2020
Events between January 1 and June 30, 2020
Para la versión en español de esta página web, haga clic aquí.
Deadline and Calendar
- Application opens: Monday, August 26, 2019 (for events between the dates of January 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020)
- Application closes: Friday, October 11, 2019 (11:59 pm)
- Award notification received: Friday, November 19, 2019
- Award funds issued: Friday, January 10, 2020
Staff will be available for brief 20-minute appointments at Historic Brings Coworking to answer questions or discuss your application. Appointments are required to ensure we have time to serve everyone. Please register here: https://doodle.com/poll/dnyax3kgbs82787k
- Monday, August 12 – Appointments available between 8:00 am – 11:00 am
- Wednesday, August 21 – Appointments available between 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 28 – Appointments available between 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Thursday, September 12 – Appointments available between 8:00 am and 10:00 am
- Monday, September 16 – Appointments available between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm
- Wednesday, September 25 – Appointments available between 8:00 am and 11:00 am
- Monday, September 30 – Appointments available between 3:00 pm and 6:00pm
The Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona requests applications to its Event Sponsorship Program from nonprofit, 501c3 organizations. This opportunity will provide funds to support arts-related events which are free and open to the public and serve the residents of Southern Arizona. This sponsorship opportunity will provide partial funding in the form of small awards to organizations for arts-related activities.
Sponsorship of events is made available through Arts Foundation’s marketing budget, rather than grantmaking funds, and follows a separate approval process from grant awards. As such, preference will be given to requests that increase access to the arts and broaden awareness of the work of the Arts Foundation.
For this round, sponsorships of $1,000 will be made for upcoming events taking place from January 1 to June 30, 2020. The Fall 2020 Sponsorship application period will open in March 2020 with awards made over the summer for events from July 1 to December 31, 2020. Sponsorship award requests are posted now with the expectation of renewed contracts for the Arts Foundation from both Pima County and City of Tucson; all funding for these awards is contingent upon the successful awarding and execution of these contracts.
Please Note: Organizations will only be eligible to receive one sponsorship award every two fiscal years. If you were awarded a sponsorship in FY 2018-2019, you will be eligible again in FY 2020-2021, or the Fall 2020 cycle. All funding for sponsorships is contingent upon Arts Foundation receiving funding from Pima County and City of Tucson at least the level of the previous fiscal year funding.
- Not-for-profit organizations, institutions or associations based in Cochise, Santa Cruz, Pima, and Yuma Counties that serve Southern Arizona residents may apply. The applicant need not be an arts organization, though the proposed event must be arts-related and must include payment to artists as part of the event expenses.
- Individual schools and parent/teacher organizations are not eligible for direct funding, however, school districts may seek funding for arts related projects that will benefit the community.
- Individuals are not eligible for direct funding. Artist’s fees, however, should be included in projects for which sponsorship is requested. Individual artists seeking funding for projects that will benefit the community should approach local not-for-profit organizations willing to sponsor the project and apply for funding.
Application and Funding
Applicants to this program must submit an online application to the review platform, Submittable. The application can be found here: https://artsfoundtucson.submittable.com/submit/70532166-7be7-4eef-88dc-1f671731d8ad/event-sponsorship-program-spring-2020
Components of the application:
- Provide a project description (describe project goal, principal artistic personnel, etc.). (200 words max.)
- Describe expected number of event attendees or participants and the expected demographics of these attendees (with supporting data if available) and the ways in which the intended audience will engage with the arts at this event. (300 words max.)
- Describe any planned publicity and how a sponsorship of $1,000 would be recognized. (200 words max.)
- List all other funding sources or sponsors who are supporting this project. (200 words max.)
- Please complete a simple, one-page budget for your event. Be sure to highlight what aspects of the event the Arts Foundation sponsorship would be used toward. If you need a sample budget, one is available in the right-hand column of the page here.
- Should anything within the budget require explanation, feel free to elaborate within the ‘Budget Notes’ section provided below the budget form.
The application will ask you to select any of the following Special Considerations that are applicable to the proposed event. Generally, the Arts Foundation will give priority to programs and projects that:
- Introduce the arts to new audiences.
- Serve the needs of the elderly, persons with disabilities, lower income groups, institutionalized persons, and other populations that historically have been under-served by or had limited access to the arts.
- Promote multi-cultural events and programming.
- Provide increased opportunities for diverse groups to lead and engage with the arts.
- Increase opportunities for artists to engage in communities with population under 50,000.
- Engage audiences through events that are planned across Southern Arizona, with emphasis placed on reaching audiences of diverse geographies.
The activity should not duplicate any existing program (in context and stated objectives) serving the same population.
The sponsorship will not fund:
- Ongoing costs of organization operation
- Permanent additions or improvements to property
- Fundraising events
- Purchase of permanent equipment
- An existing deficit from a previous year or previous project
- Primarily credit-producing, curriculum-oriented activities (exceptions are college and university projects that involve widespread direct involvement by the community and general public)
- Projects with no public and/or community service emphasis
Sponsorship recipients are required to:
- Credit the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona in all media materials used in connection with the funded project, including use of the Arts Foundation’s logo. (Example: “This program is sponsored in part by the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona funded by the City of Tucson and Pima County.”)
- Submit to the Arts Foundation, on appropriate forms, final financial and programmatic evaluation reports and photos following the completion of the project. Evaluations should be submitted within 60 days of the completion of the project and will be filed online through Submittable.
- For the purpose of consistent reports made to both the City and County, recipients will be asked in the final report to submit an example of where the Arts Foundation logo was used.
The Arts Foundation must be made aware of outstanding grant applications currently under consideration or recent awards in connection with the same or similar project.
Applications are subject to the following levels of review and review criteria:
The staff representative of the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona has the responsibility for initial analysis of the application for:
- Clarity and completeness of application
- Compliance with sponsorship request guidelines
- Fiscal accuracy
The Sponsorship Committee will review applications based on the following criteria:
- Does the proposed program meet the stated purposes of the Sponsorship Program? (20% of final score)
- Is it clear how the requested sponsorship amount would benefit the proposed event as well as the Arts Foundation? (20% of final score)
- Has the organization demonstrated external monetary support for the proposed program? (20% of final score)
- Does this project qualify for ‘Special Considerations,’ listed in the guidelines above? (40% of final score)
If you encounter any problems with the online application platform, please reach out to the Submittable team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (855) 467-8264.
If you have any questions about the application process or content of your proposal, please contact Natalia Gabrielsen, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (520) 624-0595.
Grantees Funded In: Fall2018
- U.S. Air Force Band Concert
- Tucson Cine Mexico
- Ajo Arts Weekend 2019
- Stories that Soar! at the Tucson Festival of Books
- National Poetry Month + Cyclovia Tucson
- MOCA Tucson Five Minute Film Fest
- ArtTalks at the SculptureTucson Festival Show & Sale
- Bravo TSO!