Do you love the arts and have a passion for advocacy? Apply today for the Fall 2020 AFTSA Internship Program!
The Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and funding agency. We consist of staff, a board of directors, and community members who serve on grant panels and committees and are passionate about the arts. The Arts Foundation provides arts and cultural development services through direct funding, technical assistance and professional development opportunities, and manages the creation of public art for the City of Tucson and Pima County.
The Arts Foundation mission is to advance artistic expression, civic participation, and equitable economic growth of our diverse community by supporting, promoting, and advocating for arts and culture in our region.
About the Internship
The Arts Foundation is currently seeking internship applications for the Fall 2020 cycle, which runs approximately August through December 2020. An average internship is 10 to 12 hours a week for 12 to 14 weeks, though the weekly plan on hours is adaptable to an intern’s schedule and is finalized during the internship onboarding process. Interns will work primarily from AFTSA offices at Historic Brings Coworking, 236 S. Scott Ave, however internships may also involve some off-site learning or project-based participation. Due to ongoing health concerns surrounding COVID-19, remote work may be discussed with the supervisor and incorporated into the internship work plan. You may be eligible for student course credit for your internship; potential course credit must be identified and arranged by the intern with counsel from their academic advisor.
Interns are compensated at a rate of $15 per hour, provided the intern has no conflicts prohibiting receipt of a stipend. It is the intern’s responsibility to establish eligibility for payment, including but not limited to any restrictions related to receipt of both payment and student course credit simultaneously.
About the Position
The intern will provide programmatic and administrative support for AFTSA’s largest granting cycle, the General Operating Support (GOS) Grant. The GOS Grant program annually distributes unrestricted funding to arts organizations in Tucson and Pima County. The intern will assist throughout the grant application process, review panel planning, and funding procedures. Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing applications for grant funds through Submittable, AFTSA’s online grant submission portal
- Logistical planning, including communicating with community panelists, AFTSA board members and staff, and arts organizations; attending planning meetings, grant reviews, and follow-up approval discussions
- Panel implementation, including greeting the general public and answering questions; helping with set-up and clean-up; and supporting by addressing equipment, technical, and other needs
- Researching similar grantmaking programs or initiatives and suggesting best practices
- Assists the grants department with additional duties as assigned.
Through this work, interns will have the opportunity to:
- Develop experience in grants administration and review panel processes
- Apply internet research skills and gain experience with Submittable and DataArts’ Cultural Data Profile
- Improve community outreach skills through participating in the facilitation of public panels with multiple different stakeholders
About the Application Process
Please apply, with “Grants Administration Intern” in the title, here:
To apply, you will need to submit the following:
- A current resume or CV (maximum of 2 pages)
- A cover letter or letter of inquiry, addressing your experience or special interests related to arts administration, local government, non-profit management, or other professional or career interests (maximum of 1 page)
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS FRIDAY, JULY 31st, 2020 by 11:59 PM.
Applicants will be notified of a decision within three weeks following the deadline. The applicant selected will then work with the internship supervisor to determine a suitable start date and schedule.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Grants and Services Manager