SaludArte linking PIma County residents
SaludArte is a collaborative project between the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona and the Pima County Health Department to find ways in which community engagement, health, and art can intersect to amplify the voices and experiences of our community while also helping to increase health equity, access, literacy and COVID-19 mitigation across Pima County.
Community-driven panels in each district will lead the discussions and activities to translate their stories and hopes into art projects and installations, via five local artists/artist teams. This is an effort to engage the communities in Pima County that have been the hardest hit by COVID-19, as well as those that have been historically and contemporarily excluded and marginalized.
Art initiatives are a powerful means to:
- Reflect community values, strengths, and resilience
- Elevate the voices of diverse cultures, communities, and groups
- Promote community healing and social cohesion
- Raise consciousness about social justice issues
- Engage intergenerationally and across traditional age barriers
- Increase access to equitable health services
- Enhance health communications between the community and health professionals
- Enhance community participation and strengthen community relationships
We’re recruiting 15 community members in each of the following zip codes and neighborhoods:
District 1: 85741
District 2: 85713 (Las Vistas, Western Hills & South Park)
District 3: 87321 (Ajo)
District 4: 85710 (Green Valley, Harold Bell Wright Estates, El Gheko, Broadway Northwest, Palo Verde Park, Terra Del Sol, Dietz & Carriage Park)
District 5: 85746 (Midvale Park)
We’re recruiting 15 community members from each Supervisory district to participate in SaludArte: a public art & cultural health project to highlight the experience of different communities in Pima County.
Public Art project timelines follow the schedule of the SaludArte Committee meetings in each district. Dates are subject to change depending on the SaludArte Committee members availability. However, the anticipated timeline for SaludArte Committee meetings that include the finalists and selected artists will occur from December 2022 through March 2023. The selected Artist/Artist Team will be expected to participate in at least 2-3 meetings between this time frame. Dates are subject to change.
- November 23, 2022 – Call to Artist Guidelines Posted
- January 18, 2022 – Application Deadline 11:59 p.m. Arizona Time
- January 25, 2022 – SaludArte Committee scores applicants
- February 8, 2023 – Artist Selection | Finalists Interviews
- February 28, 2023 – Announcement of Recommended Artists/Artist Teams
- March 3, 2023 – Artist/Artist teams collaborate with participants in their designated supervisory district to inform the concept of the art project
- March 15, 2023 –Artist/Artist Teams pitches conceptual design to participants for final approval
- March – June 30, 2023 – Final Design Phase & Production Phase
- October 2023 – Installation of artworks at Community Event(s), location and date to be determined
Browse all SaludArte updates below.