A Nurturing and Intergenerational Brave Space
The Creative Flowers Professional Sistah Circle for Black Women Creatives in Arizona seeks to provide a nurturing and intergenerational brave space for women from 18-100+ years old to explore the creative sector and build relationships with one another.
The Creative Flowers Professional Sistah Circle is a 1-month cohort building program where a group of up to 30 women meet weekly to build relationships with one another and explore careers in the creative sector. Cohort Mentor, Ashley Walden Davis, leads the sessions and shares valuable lessons learned, making personal connections with each of the women.
The 2020 Creative Flowers cohort: Fleur Noir
- To offer Black women a nonjudgmental place where they can be their whole-self, ask hard, racially-based, and sometimes even embarrassing questions to further enhance the knowledge of the entire sister circle acumen of the creative sector.
- To offer a nurturing and supportive space that is also free from anti-blackness.
- To build community with one another and develop relations with peers so each woman knows she is not alone.
- Expand the network of participant peers at various stages of their careers and identify mentors. The Sistah Circle will gain practical resources to further learn about segments of the creative sectors and where to go for support.
Who should join the circle?
As an open and loving place, we will let you identify if you feel the program is right for you. The creative sector includes the nonprofit, fine arts, and entertainment industry and is inclusive but not limited to visual arts, theater, dance, film, graphic design, animation, producing, composing, songwriting, sound engineering, museum management, costume design, lighting design, opera, and technical direction. To learn and curate as eclectic of a group as possible with the broadest network, we welcome all Black women creatives.
Creative Flowers is crafted for:
- Arizona-based Black Women interested in the creative sector who:
- Identify as an artist or arts administrator
- Have a career or are interested in a career in the Creative Sector in Arizona
- Want to connect with other Black women and share learning
- Desire to engage in an intimate sister circle
Creative Flowers Program Design
During the 2020 program duration, the cohort met weekly via video conference for one month. Individually, each participant was supported to develop a Self-Investment Plan as part of their personal and professional development journey.
The 2020 Sistah Circle was supported by the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona and the Arizona Commission on the Arts.