Projects that highlight and enrich our region’s sense of place and the cultures that inform it.
Percent for Public Art
We coordinate and support project teams that oversee the production and installation of artwork in public facilities, transportation projects, neighborhood centers, parks and more.
Percent for Art currently assigns one percent of capital improvement project budgets over $100,000 toward public art.
Since 1986, more than 300 public art projects have been completed in metropolitan Tucson and Pima County. Explore our public art map to find art in your neighborhood and visit these works in person!
Additional Public Art Processes
Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona (AFTSA) oversees both the City of Tucson and Pima County’s Donations/Temporary Artwork process. This process facilitates the donation of artwork into the collection and also serves as the required steps and approval process for all temporary artworks proposed on city/county property. AFTSA also manages the Deaccession/Relocation process for the City of Tucson which addresses the removal or relocation of artworks within the city’s collection.
Public art panels and committees
The Public Art and Community Design Committee oversees the process for the installation of all public artworks, beginning with a call to artists and culminating with the completion of the project.
The committee is comprised of seven members appointed by the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona, five appointed by the Pima County Board of Supervisors, seven appointed by the Mayor and Council, and one each by the City Manager and County Manager Supervisor. The Chair is appointed by the Arts Foundation Board Chair.
The committee meets every second Wednesday of the month at 3:30 p.m., at:
The Pima County Housing Center, 801 W. Congress Street, Tucson AZ 85745.
Click here to view the calendar listings.
Public Art and Community Design Committee
- Barbara Burstein, Chair - Arts Foundation Appointee
- Lucia Lagarda - Pima County District 2 Appointee
- Roberta Zelikow - Pima County District 3 Appointee
- Michelle Rouch - Pima County District 4 Appointee
- Alex Jimenez - Pima County District 5 Appointee
- Betty Villegas - City of Tucson Ward 1 Appointee
- Amy Wacker - City of Tucson Ward 2 Appointee
- Luke Knipe - City of Tucson Ward 3 Appointee
- Mel Dominguez - City of Tucson Ward 4 Appointee
- Robert Clark - City of Tucson Ward 5 Appointee
- Alison Hughes - City of Tucson Ward 6 Appointee
- Maureen Lueck - County Administrator Appointee
- Annie Kurtin - Mayoral Appointee
- Anne Trumble - City Manager Appointee
- Chris Tanz - Arts Foundation Appointee
- Kelly Huber - Arts Foundation Appointee
- Terry Chandler - Arts Foundation Appointee
- Darlene Showalter - Arts Foundation Appointee